Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sunil Chhetri joins Sporting Lisbon


 Indian football captain Sunil Chhetri has joined Sporting Clube de Portugal.

Announcing this at a press conference here on Friday, Aureliano Neves, club vice-president, said this was the first step towards the club’s initiative to develop football in India.

An emotional Chhetri, who was handed a club jersey, said he would try to make the most of the opportunity. 

“I will never forget this in my lifetime. I am playing for a nation which is ranked 156th and now I will play in a country which is No. 5, and for one of the best clubs in the world,” said the diminutive striker.
“I am not going to lose this opportunity. I will leave no stone unturned. When I will be a 40-year-old, I will be able to say that I gave whatever was humanely possible for me,” said Chhetri.

Welcoming the development, AIFF president Praful Patel said: “it is a milestone for Indian football. Sunil will play with some top players of the world.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment